The Alliance has compiled
a number of resources
available for survivors,
their friends and families,
assisting survivors in
New York City.
The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault:Director of Development and Communications
Organization: The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault
January 9, 2013
Join the fight against sexual violence! The mission of the New York City Alliance is to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes individuals and communities. The Alliance was formed in 2000 in order to represent the interests of survivors and the programs that assist them at the city-wide level. Through training, advocacy and research, the Alliance has been an active force in fighting for recognition of the magnitude of the problem of sexual violence in New York City.
The Alliance seeks a full-time Director of Development and Communications to implement its goals to diversify fundraising efforts and strengthen communications efforts to advance the Alliance’s mission. The Director works collaboratively with other staff including the Finance and Operations Coordinator. The position reports to the Executive Director and participates in organizational planning and leadership, including working closely with the Alliance Board of Directors.
- Implement the goals of the Alliance’s three- year strategic plan calling for a diversification of funding sources. These sources are: individual donors, foundation and corporate support, government support and special events.
- Serve as a strategic leader for all fundraising efforts to ensure coordinated fundraising outcomes;
- Develop funding proposals, write grants, and submit timely reports to funders in collaboration with the Executive Director and program staff;
- Develop and manage portfolio of current and prospective donors capable of making major gifts;
- Develop and implement corporate fundraising initiatives and opportunities through targeted efforts and partnerships;
- Work with Executive Director and Board-led Fundraising Committee on setting financial and donor goals as well as planning and execution of fundraising activities;
- Assist with Board support, attend Board meetings and work with the Board-led Strategic Communications Committee (in formation);
- Oversee Alliance special events in collaboration with Board and staff with specific focus on fundraising and communications components;
- Oversee the implementation of a communications strategy that advances the mission of the organization including, managing media relationships, participating in the creation of public education messages, review and preparation of organizational materials and website content.
- Recruit and supervise development/communications interns and volunteers.
- Supervise contributions of related consultants –writer, webmanager, graphic designer
- The ideal candidate should have a Bachelors degree with a master’s degree in a related field preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience in development and/or communications or related areas, with a proven record of results soliciting and acquiring donations and grants required.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets.
- Experience supervising staff and volunteers expected. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, database management skills, and strong written and oral communication skills are required.
- Proficiency with social media platforms and basic website maintenance skills are preferred.
- Ideal candidate will have the ability to work as a team and independently.
- An effective leader and self-starter who can build relationships and cultivate donors from diverse sectors.
To submit an announcement for listing on The Alliance site, fill out this
All announcements, events, jobs, and volunteer opportunities will be compiled in a weekly email digest. To ensure timely delivery of your announcement, please submit it by Tuesday of each week.
For more information, our editorial policy, or other questions, please contact the
Web Manager at
by phone at